[부산] Busan IPark held to draw away to Gwangju FC


Busan IPark may have been held to another away draw this time out to Gwangju FC, but on the positive side of things managed to extend their unbeaten run to 9 games.

After the frantic 3-3 draw with Daejeon Citizen last week, Busan IPark manager Choi Yun-kyum opted to make 2 changes to his starting XI with goalkeeper Kim Hyung-geun coming in for Koo Sang-min and new Dutch signing from Almere City, Arsenio Valpoort, replacing Lee Jae-kwon in a 4-3-3 formation. Gwangju FC made 1 change with Choi Joon-hyeok replacing Yeo Bong-hun in a 4-5-1 formation.

The action started early on in the 4th minute with Romulo giving away a freekick just outside of the box after a foul on Na Sang-ho. Na took the ensuing freekick and blasted a shot over the crossbar. After a well worked counter down the left, Gwangju’s Jung Yeong-chong was denied by Kim Hyung-keun with help from the woodwork after the Busan IPark stopper palmed a fierce shot onto the post and away from danger.

All eyes were on debutant Valpoort on the left of the front three today and he made his presence known by winning a corner in the 17th minute. Romulo took a short corner to Lee Jong-min, who whipped the ball into the far post to Kim Myeong-jun who headed it back across goal towards Kim Hyun-sung, who unfortunately couldn’t get on the end of it to give IPark the lead from a well worked corner routine. Romulo managed to keep the ball alive in the play that followed and was denied by the post after his low cross deflected off a Gwangju defender onto the post and into the grateful hands of the keeper.

IPark won a freekick on the right hand touchline after the ever-threatening Valpoort was fouled. Romulo’s freekick was beautifully crossed into a dangerous area before defender Kim Myeong-jun got his head on the end of it to give the visitor’s the lead in the 21st minute from another inch-perfect delivery by the Brazilian.

An attack down the middle by Kim Hyun-sung, lead to a Han Ji-ho deflected cross that managed to fall to the feet of Ko Kyung-min. The midfielder managed to get a strong left-footed shot away but was denied by the right fist of Gwangju keeper, Yoon-Pyeong-gook.

The home team came close to levelling twice in the 35th minute with a shot from Lim Min-hyeok, which was parried back into danger by Kim Hyung-keun and then instinctively headed strongly back towards goal by Kim Jung-hwan only to be denied brilliantly by the keeper.

A lovely counter-attacking display almost lead to IPark doubling their lead after Kim Hyun-sung’s good through ball over the top found the run of Valpoort who then did well to setup an incoming Romulo, but he was unlucky to have his shot saved by the keeper.

Gwangju won a free kick outside the box immediately thereafter with Park Yo-han being brought down just outside the penalty area. Lim Min-hyeok scored with a well taken free kick after surprising IPark keeper, Kim Hyung-keun by not shooting over the wall, but instead going for the keeper’s side although Kim will that feel he should have saved it.

The teams went into the break level with both teams having created a couple of chances each and having equal possession with all to play for in the second half.

The away team started the second half the better of the two teams with a quick break down the left by Valpoort after being released into space by Romulo. The new signing showed us another reason why he was signed as he easily sped passed the defender but let off a tame shot that was saved by the keeper. A minute later, Ko Kyung-min played a through ball splitting Gwangju’s defence only Valpoort to again be denied by Yoon Pyeong-gook.

Another chance came IPark’s way in the 54th minute as a ball into the box was attacked by the head of Han Ji-ho into the direction of Ko Kyung-min who appeared to be onside, but instead of smashing it home, he instead let the shot go through to the keeper. There may have been some confusion on his part as to whether he was offside or not.

With a lull in play and legs starting to fatigue, both managers made their first substitutions in the 65th minute looking for some inspiration from the bench. Substitute Kim Moon-hwan nearly provided that inspiration after a good run down the left hand side saw him send a low cross into the box only for Kim Hyun-sung who was unable to make any connection with it.

The home team went on the offensive in the final 10 minutes in search of a winner, but on two occasions weren’t able to mount any serious chance to breach the IPark defence. IPark had the final chance of the game as they won the ball in midfield and broke forward through Romulo, but he was unable to provide the telling pass needed to set up a possible winner for the away team.

The draw leaves Busan IPark in 3rd place on 27 points and Gwangju in 5th place on 24. The club will be eager to extend this unbeaten run to 10 games and hopefully get back to winning ways against 4th placed Bucheon 1995 on Saturday evening back in front of their home fans at the Asiad Stadium in Sajik.

Edited by International Ambassadors of Busan IPark FC